It may sound simple, but the biggest missing component amongst the dozens of sales departments and organizations Gary Braun has helped over the years is performance management.
“A lot of people put comp plans in place to help drive the right behaviors and I agree with that—to a point. Comp plans help. But people manage people,” says Braun, who along with brother Mike, own and lead Pivotal Advisors, a Prior Lake, Minn.-based firm that helps organizations improve their sales results.
“If you were on my team, and I sat down every week with you and said, [your name], you’re supposed to have five new opportunities this week, how are we doing? If you say you have five, I’d go, ‘rock on, way to go, keep going!’ Or if you tell me you don’t, I then need to say, ‘this is third week in a row that we’ve not hit our goal here. What do we need to differently?’ Having that conversation makes a world of difference. It’s about driving the right behaviors and holding people accountable. But I don’t see it happening out there. Usually, when I see a sales leader and salesperson get together, it’s just a pipeline review every week.”
One Take interviews are unscripted, unedited discussions on how Minnesota CEOs are leading during the Covid-19 pandemic and its unprecedented impact on their operations, and the economy. The series of frank-talk conversations is produced by Dale Kurschner and sponsored by Platinum Group, Minnesota’s most experienced advisory group helping business owners and leaders with extreme challenges including financial setbacks, lender and landlord re-negotiations, turnarounds and bankruptcies. Kurschner is one of its consultants and specializes in business analysis, strategic communication, reputation management and crisis communications.
- Faribault Woolen Mill Chairman and CEO Paul Grangaard watch or listen
- Self Esteem Brands Co-Founder and CEO Chuck Runyon watch or listen
- Maud Borup owner and CEO Christine Lantinen watch or listen
- Restaurant Technologies CEO Jeff Kiesel watch or listen
- Summit Brewing Founder and President Mark Stutrud watch or listen
- Mainstreet Bakery COO Stacy Demskie watch or listen
- Allina Health President and CEO Penny Wheeler watch or listen
- Manny Villafana, Medtech Serial Entrepreneur and founder/CEO of Medical 21; watch or listen
- Indigo Signworks CEO Eric Gibson or watch or listen
- Reviva Corp. Chairman and CEO Dave Goodwin watch or listen
Complementing the CEO series are interviews with key members of Platinum Group, who provide additional insights based on what they’ve seen in helping more than 2,000 companies through challenging times during the last few decades.
- Founder and Chairman Dean Bachelor (perspective and strategy) listen or watch
- Founder and Chairman Dean Bachelor (meaningful capitalism) listen or watch
- Partner Pat Brennan (how to prepare for an economic tsunami) listen or watch
- Partner Steve Coleman (try new things, maybe even a new partner) listen or watch
- Consultant Greg Coward (be decisive & nimble, focusing on people first) listen or watch
- Partner Randy Kroll (leadership and accounting) listen or watch
- Partner Robert Lehmann (real estate law, early stage financing) or watch or listen
- Partner Bill English (take a look at your benefits structure) listen or watch
- Consultant Tom Hubler (family businesses during Covid-19) listen or watch
- Partner Bob Stewart, (how to be decisive despite uncertainty) listen or watch